Are you eligible for our services?

UBC TACS follows the same eligibility guidelines as the Canadian Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). The CVITP assists eligible taxpayers with low incomes, in simple, non-complex tax situations.

Eligibility Criteria
These suggested maximum income levels should serve as a guideline only.

Taxpayer StatusYour Income (Line 150)
IndividualUp to $30,000
CoupleUp to $40,000
One Adult with a ChildUp to $35,000

  • *For each additional child, add $2,500 to the suggested family income.
  • *Interest income must be less than $1,000.
  • Eligible taxpayers normally served by the CVITP include:
  • Aboriginal peoples
  • Low-income individuals and social assistance recipients
  • Newcomers to Canada
  • Seniors
  • Students

Volunteers do not prepare tax returns for individuals who:

  • Own foreign property worth over $100,000
  • Have self-employment income
  • Have business or rental income and expenses
  • Have capital gains or losses
  • Have rental income
  • Have employment expenses / Have a T2200 tax form
  • Have filed for bankruptcy
  • Are Exchange Students staying in Canada for less than 1 year
  • Are visiting Canada
  • Are deceased